Monday, 5 March 2012

MBX DVBT Android TV player - Gingerbread - Media Players - Home theatre

MBX DVBT Android TV player - Gingerbread - Media Players - Home theatre

I have previously purchased a FV-1 froyo 2.2 and a Chinese Tablet 2.3 both for use as Android boxes for my TV, as I dislike the Sony Bravia "Smart TV" setup.
The Tablet was a PoS, and the FV-1 eventually became a good little box, but would never do Google Earth, Camera, etc even after successfully rooting it with Z4root 1.3.0.

I have been looking for a real Gingerbread-based box and ran across one on Ebay out of China: Android 2.3 WiFi Internet Full HD 1080P HDMI Google TV Box ARM Cortex A9 1Ghz
Model is MBX DVBT board (c03ref) ver 2.3.4 and cost me $140 with free post and arrived in a week (yesterday) from Shenzhen.
To cut a long story short, it is an elegant little box, and has 3xUSB master and 1xUSB slave, plus HDMI and RGB outputs, plus wifi and Ethernet. Runs off 5V too....and they even included an Oz power adaptor and a free LED torch!
Major problem was no Google apps and no way to open an account. Panic! Google is your friend and last night I located an upgrade file for it: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ozq5zk. It worked perfectly simply by unzipping the files to an SD card and telling the box to "do local upgrade" from the menu. 10 Minutes later I had it all – perfecto, including all Google apps, Earth, maps, etc.
The best forum site is: http://androidforums.com/google-tv/448821-tv-box-android-2-3-a.html and the link to the above file is bottom of the page.
Really nice so far, faster and better than my FV-1 and it IS genuine Gingerbread 2.3.4 and extremely reliable in operation with my Bravia 55". Haven't been able to root it yet, tried all the latest tools but no luck. I changed to Launcher Pro as I like its features. Runs fine.
Edit: and BTW, the original firmware wasn't loaded with bloatware, so rooting isn't a big deal anyway.
And no – I'm not a merchant troll, just a gadget nut.

No comments:

Post a Comment